Thursday, September 23, 2010

Still

I just wanted to share one of my favorite scriptures:

"Be still and know that I am God."

I'm not one of those people who memorizes references and stuff, and given the time I'm sure that I could come up with it, but I just figure that what's important is not the name of the chapter and verse, but what the Lord is saying.

What does it mean to me?
It means that life can be crazy. It can whirl me around like a tornado, take my breath away, confuse me with all the crazy stuff people say and do, fill me with love or pain or laughter or despair. It means that when I'm being thrashed to and fro, when it feels dark and hopeless, or when I feel betrayed or frenzied...that He is there and He knows. I am not alone, and if I can simply stay put in the moment, His comfort will come and guide me and rest upon me.

It also means that when life fills me with delight, when my heart is so full it might burst right out of my chest, when I feel like dancing, or laughing, or even just sitting and resting, that He is there, and I am not alone. He will dance with me and laugh with me for it is His joy that fills me up.

It means that when I doubt, He is there. When I question, He is there. When I feel deserted, He is there. When I feel alone, He is there. When I wonder where He is, He knows. When I curse Him for allowing me to feel pain and suffering, He stands by me and waits for the storm to pass. When the storm does finally pass, He is relieved also. But when I finally feel love and gratitude towards Him for my struggle, then He rejoices, for He knows that I have finally allowed my heart to grow, my soul to stretch and become closer to what He intends it to be, and that I am more like the person He sees as me.

So I will remember in quiet moments when the hustle and bustle of home are quieted to be still, for I KNOW that He is God.

What does it mean to you?

2 comments:

LadyCarma said...

Amen. I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for sharing. You are awesome.

lindsay Roscoe said...

Beautiful! Thank you for giving something to my day!