Sunday, March 02, 2008

DAVE HAS KNEE SURGERY



After several years of procrastination, Dave finally went under the knife this week for his knee surgery. Knee surgeries, I should say. One knee, three surgeries. first, an ACL reconstruction--his ACL has been missing for about 10 years after a BBall injury severed and thrashed it. Second, an anterior tibial osteotomy (I think I got that right), where the surgeon cuts bone from the tibia to release pressure from the lack of support in the knee, then places a brace-type screw to reinforce. Third, the one that was not planned, the removal of two bone spurs and work to clean up torn cartilage and spur the growth of new cartilage. OUCH! His recovery is destined to be slow, and he is getting to know the fabric of our living room chair quite well, as well as our sofa. He gets up only to go to the bathroom. He is on a lot of percocet, which makes him groggy, and ice on the knee around the clock! And he gets to wear a big black brace. For sure this should get him lots of attention when he can finally return to work, which should be in a couple of weeks.
We wish Dave a fast recovery!

2 comments:

LadyCarma said...

Dave, OUCH! I hope the recovery goes quickly and the physical therapy helps return your knee to great new working order. It sounds like you have been living with the "knee problem" for a long time. I will keep you in my prayers. Aunt Carma W.

Anonymous said...

Uhm, yeah, that doesn't sound at all fun! Sorry to hear your down for a while...I am sure you'll be glad you did it once you have full recovery though...wow!!! Good luck to you! And to you Jules...that adds to your already heavy load!