Okay, I'm going to give it a try and see if I can get back to blogging. For those of you who don't know, I had abdominal reconstructive surgery November 20 to repair my abdominal muscles which were destroyed by my triplet pregnancy. You might wonder how pregnancy can damage abdominal muscles, so just picture the muscles dividing up the middle, stretching way beyond capacity, then a yoga ball protruding through them and pushing them out to the sides of the body. Then one day the doctors remove the enormous growth, and expect the muscles to gracefully shrink and return to their original position along the front of my abdomen. Well, enough said, right? They didn't return. They tried, but to no avail. I even spent 4 months in physical therapy trying to tighten them and strengthen them but there still remained a 2 inch gap up the center of my abdomen from my pubic bone to about 3 inches above my navel. Needless to say I've had severe back pain for the past year and as one Dr. put it, it's as if I've been walking around with all my nuts and bolts loose. (Is there surgery to tighten the nuts and bolts of my brain, because I think they're loose as well?)
So I had the surgery and it all went well, and they were even able to remove some of the extra way stretched out skin tissue, which is great. I have permanent sutures up the middle of my abdominal wall. It has been a long, slow recovery process and the hardest part once the initial pain subsided has been the exhaustion. I'm so flabby and have lost so much muscle tone and have even gained weight since the surgery because of inactivity. I wanted so much for it to be a minor surgery and it was SO NOT A MINOR SURGERY! I finally received clearance to return to normal activity and I have so much work to do to get my body back in shape. I'm so hopeful that I will have some relief from back pain and some stability but this has been no picnic. There have been many moments when I have been very angry to have had my body destroyed by bringing these babies here. Why oh why oh why oh why couldn't I just get them here without such vast physical damage being done to me????? WHY????
But that's not really what I wanted to write about tonight. Tonight I wanted to write about the phenomenon of how I went to tuck in my 12 year old son tonight and he spewed anger and defiance all over me, even though the last time I saw him was 2 hours earlier when he was eating the awesome dinner I'd cooked and appreciating every bite. So I come to find out that he had been in a fight with his dad and so he's angry at HIM, but I guess because I come in representing the parental unit then I'm GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION, right? I'm so bugged! How is this fair? Okay, I'm the queen of telling my kids that life is not fair, but really, do I deserve this anger vomit that is being hurled in my direction? All I was going to do was give him a hug and tell him good night and I'm being received as if I'm his most hated enemy. And I cooked dinner! And he loved it! And then I went to run errands, and now all I get is this ugly side of him? So Uncool. The girls at school would not be impressed, that's for sure. Maybe I should get on their Facebook pages link them to this post.............nah...I'll just send him some love from here in the dark computer room and forgive him and hope that he gets some much needed rest tonight so that he feels better tomorrow. After all, he's my son.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
The part about the facebook page was pretty perfect. :) They're always hardest on the ones that they trust will love them in spite of it....isn't that the explanation that child psychologists give? Well, I think that sucks. :) You're a good mom for taking one for the team tonight. And a good mom for cooking dinner! Don't forget about that! Glad your tummy is doing a little better. I hope you're able to do more with less back pain so you can feel more like your fit, fabulous self again. You're beautiful any way....
I think when you're 12 you don't even see the lovingly prepared meals, the taxiing around etc. I'm sorry he's lashing out on you. He'll cool down. Glad to hear the worst is over as far as your abs are concerned. It was all worth it to bring these 3 beauties to life, right? You're such a great mommy!
I've been a little busy getting settled in LV, but when I read your post, I felt your pain and suffering, both body and spirit. All too often the family members take their anger and frustrations out on the parents. And what a mother gives for her children is beyond the call of duty.
When I was so sick and seeking answers from medical tests, I saw an endocronologist. He was on the computer, asking me questions, filling in the answers, and when he asked me how many children had bore and I told him "five", he turned to me and said: "That is probably why you are sitting in my office seeking good health. Having babies takes a toll on a mother's body." I said: "But my baby is 23 years old?" He replied: "All the more reason why you have these health concerns."
For your sake, Julie, I hope the surgery improves your quality of life, but be prepared. It isn't over yet! That is why children should never abuse their mothers. Their mother gave them more than they can ever repay.
On the flip side...sometimes may anger for someone else comes to hit them in the face too...I am sorry that you got the raw end of that deal...send dad in next time to fix it! hehehe I don't think I will ever get used to having children and this strange dichotomy! The randomness of them and their ways that always make me the mean-o mommy. Why can't they just appreciate what a great life they have!!! I hope that he can remember that soon!
i had no idea you had to have surgery! i am SO sorry. what a horrible thing to have to go through! i'm glad the surgery is behind you now and you're on the road going towards where you want to be.
ugh. teenagers. i am SO looking forward to having 4 pubescent teenagers at once...NOT! lol.
glad you are getting back on your feet. I had NO idea about the abdominal surgery. yikes! take care and let's do lunch. I'll come to you.
xo, Andi
Glad you are doing well!!!
Post a Comment